What postgraduate student loans do you offer?
You may well have heard about the student loans we offer for undergraduates linked to student finance, as well as our rock-solid commitment to responsible lending – after all, we set up Smart-Pig in response to our own disappointing experiences with lenders while at uni.
However, the need for short-term help doesn’t just end when you graduate, and if you choose to stay in the education system, you may well find yourself requiring a quick fix again. Because postgrad courses are typically funded differently, we have set up new systems to cater for you.
Here are the different types of private postgraduate loans we offer.
Student loans for postgrads
We offer short-term postgraduate loans for students studying for postgrad degrees, doctorates, PhDs and other higher education that does not qualify for student finance. You could also apply if you are a self-funded postgrad student. You should have a monthly or termly income to support yourself during your studies, either from a salary or bursary.
Ensure you can be contacted by phone and email as we may need to verify your income. Select "postgrad income" during the application process and enter your monthly or termly salary. Kick-start your application with our quick and easy postgraduate loan calculator to see how much you could borrow.
Postgraduate loans for PhD students
If you are a PhD student and have an income as part of your funding, we could help. To apply, select "postgrad income" when prompted during the application process and follow the instructions.
Postgraduate loans for master’s students
You may be able to get a master’s postgraduate loan depending on your level of income during your course. If you receive student finance payments, please proceed with the application normally. If you do not receive student finance, select "postgrad income" when prompted during the application process and follow the instructions to tell us your monthly income.
How our postgraduate student loans work
Similar to our undergrad loans, you could get up to £350 to give you short-term help with repayment terms set to a date that best works for you, whether it’s payday from work or your next student finance instalment.
Don’t have student finance? No problem. Just select "postgrad income" when applying and we’ll base your application on your other forms of income.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Study at a UK college or university
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a resident of the UK
- Have a valid UK bank account and debit card
- Not be in an insolvency arrangement such as bankruptcy or an IVA
If applying with student finance, this must be a government programme, such as Student Loan, NHS Bursary or SAAS Award.
Tick all those boxes? Read on for how to apply for a postgraduate student loan.
1. Fill out the application form and submit
Visit the and enter the amount you want to borrow and the date you wish to pay it back. If applying with student finance, this could be the date your next instalment is due. If you can repay early, you may be able to save on the interest.
You may also need to create an account, using:
- A valid email address
- Your bank and debit card details
- A working mobile phone
You will need to agree to a credit check and provide some details about your expenditure. If you’re using your student finance, we will also use some details from this. These guides show you where to look for this.
- How to get your Student Finance Letter
- How to get your NHS Bursary Letter
- How to get your SAAS Award Letter
2. Reply to any enquiries
As soon as we have everything we need, we’ll check the loan is affordable for you using the details you provide and some extras from your credit file. We’ll contact you via email if we need any further information, so keep an eye on your inbox and reply swiftly to any enquiries so we can keep things moving.
3. Receive money into your account
Once your application is approved, we’ll drop the money straight into your account – usually within just a few minutes.
What can a postgraduate student loan be used for?
If you’ve followed up your undergrad degree with another stint at uni, the chances are you’re now well accustomed to student life – but postgrad times are certainly a bit different. You might be working alongside your studies, and the extra time researching your chosen field can leave you tight for time to sort life’s little issues.
If money worries crop up, you could use a private postgraduate loan to cover things like:
- Unexpected costs, such as home repairs
- Larger outlays, like accommodation costs
- Help to buy materials and equipment for your course
When you apply, we’ll take great care to ensure you can afford the repayment. If we think the loan could put you into more trouble, we won’t go ahead.
If you’re struggling with repayments on other loans or can’t make ends meet, take a look at our Student Money Advice or go to . Your university may also be able to help.
We apply this human touch to all aspects of your application, looking beyond just your credit file. So, if you need short-term help, you may be eligible for a postgraduate student loan with bad credit.
Why choose Smart-Pig’s postgraduate student loan?
- By students for students: We don’t want you to suffer at the hands of unscrupulous lenders . That’s why our loans work differently.
- No hidden costs: We won’t charge you extra fees for late repayment. What you see on the application is what you’ll pay.
- Grace period when finance is late: If you’re applying with student finance and it arrives late, we won’t hold it against you. You won’t pay any extra interest while you wait.
- Interest capped: You’ll see different interest rates on our site but the interest you pay will never exceed 50% of your loan amount. For example, if you borrow £100, the most you will repay is £150. This Guide to APR helps clear things up.
- Instant cash: Want a quick postgraduate student loan? Once you’re approved, you could have your money within minutes.
- Flexible terms: Top up, extend and pay early. If you have the chance to save on interest, we’ll help you do that. To learn more, see How it Works.
- We’re ‘Excellent’: We’ve helped thousands of students just like you and are proud of our five-star rating on Trustpilot.
Postgraduate student loans made easy
Our private postgraduate loans aren’t short-term traps; we’re here to help you steer clear of trouble until you’re back on your feet.
We’re here for you if you need any help or further information. Simply fill in our online contact form, send us an email at [email protected] with the subject field filled or call 0203 5071 930 9am-8pm Monday-Friday or 10am-6pm Saturday-Sunday.
Checked your eligibility? Apply for a student loan and we’ll do what we can to help.